The restoration of the historic Leas Pavilion in Folkestone hit another milestone last month as the proposed scheme to rejuvenate the historic building, and provide 91 apartments adjacent, was granted planning by Folkestone and Hythe District Council.
The Grade II listed site has been closed for the last ten years after a varied life as a tea room, theatre, bowling alley and nightclub. Developed in 1902, the Pavilion features fantastic original features such as an original terracotta façade and ornately moulded ceilings.
The design team, led by Hollaway Studio, have worked closely with Historic England to develop a design that will see the Pavilion’s original 1902 façade restored and the layout, including the main hall and galleries repurposed and retained. This will include removing some of the additional features constructed over years including a 1920’s metal and glazed canopy.
91 new apartments will sit above and around the Pavilion across 9 storeys and occupy the current car parks facing both Cheriton Place and Longford Terrace. The scheme will also offer resident parking, electric vehicle charging points as well as two community electric cars for residents.
Once complete, the revived Pavilion will be capable of hosting community events, performances and theatre, becoming the hub it once was.
Work will proceed on the project soon and we were pleased to provide quantity surveying services to the client prior to planning and will continue to work alongside them, Hollaway and the design team through this exciting project.