The Harvey Grammar School based in Folkestone, Kent has recently occupied its new sports building. The school, which accommodates for over 900 pupils and was founded in 1674, has had several developments over the last few years.
The most recent scheme has been to demolish, refurbish and construct a new building for their sports department. The existing gymnasium and changing rooms were built in the 1920s, and were in very poor condition, and needed to be replaced. Therefore, a new extension to the existing sports hall has been built.
The brand-new extension is a two-storey building including a gymnasium, fitness studio and four changing rooms. Two classroom spaces and offices for the P.E department have also been provided. The gymnasium is predominately used for badminton, basketball, table tennis, dodgeball and 5-a-side football. These facilities will help students develop further in their sporting achievements.
The fitness studio located upstairs in the new extension is fully equipped with spin bikes, punch bags, weights, power ropes and a full mirrored wall.
Other works in the scheme included relocating the bin stores and adding auditorium style steps to access the sports facilities. The new steps also provide additional outdoor space for pupils to use during their breaks.