This scheme for Medway Council was for extension works to the existing chapel at Medway Crematorium in Kent, along with the installation of new cremators and a mercury abatement system.
The fine, rather modest symmetry of the existing crematorium had to undergo change to keep up with regulations on cremation. At the same time its two chapels have been enlarged with dynamic glulam extensions edged with large picture windows. A dramatic decorative steel screen picked up on the leading of the original 1959 glass, while the copper wrap to the new wings gave the building its distinctive look.
B&M were appointed as Lead Consultant on the scheme, and were delighted when the scheme was shortlisted in the category of “Design through Innovation” at the 2014 RICS Awards (South East). The project then went on to win an RIBA South East Regional Award 2014. To complete its success the scheme was then shortlisted in the Kent Design & Development Awards 2014.